Tuesday, June 28, 2005

This might get interesting

No sh*t, there I was...
... standing in the line at the commissary. I saw that the new Army Times was out. On the front page, the tagline read "Tracking Bloggers: War-zone web loggers ordered to register."
I wondered if Joe Chenelly had quoted me in his article, so I bought it. Sure enough,
Another soldier, who goes by "Six" on his blog, www.watchyoursix.blogspot.com, isn't in Iraq yet. But he is slated to deploy soon. He plans to keep blogging, but not register.
"I'm taking a risk by doing it, but I don't think that I can be objective if the Army knows who I am and can censor me at any time," he wrote in an e-mail exchange. "I work hard to make sure that I don't compromise operational security, but I know the Army won't trust me to make that judgment."
Some people could interpret my quote as a "come and get me" dare, but that's not how I meant it. I'm not daring the Army to try and find out who I am, I'm just hoping that whomever reads my site can tell that I never violate OPSEC or good order and discipline. I'm just a harmless little fuzzball trying to tell it like it is.
Why did I respond to Mr. Chenelly's questions and why will I quit before I register my blog? see a couple of posts down.
If the Army Times article generates a lot of traffic for WatchYourSix, this could get interesting.
of course, Blackfive beat me to it. He saw the article and blogged about it first. Matt's pretty quick.